Months of detailed planning and dedicated practice paid off at the Colorado Destination Imagination (DI) Tournament, held April 9 at the Auraria Campus in downtown Denver. Ten teams from the Cherry Creek School District qualified to compete in the DI Global Finals, May 24-28, at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville.
• Creekside Elementary – Seven Incredible Hopeful Helpers
• Campus Middle School – Death by Flying Orangutans and Candy Whales
• Calvary Homeschoolers HS – Team Without a Cool Acronym
• Rolling Hills Elementary – DI Tardistars
• Cottonwood Creek – White Cheddar Popcorns
• Cherry Creek HS – Challenge Busters
• Cherry Creek HS – Edible
• Cherry Creek HS – I’m Commandeering This Ocelot
• High Plains Elementary – Denver Devils
• Buffalo Trail Elementary – R3KE
Destination Imagination is a fun, hands-on system of learning that fosters students’ creativity, courage and curiosity through open-ended academic challenges in the fields of STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics), fine arts and service learning. Participants learn patience, flexibility, persistence, ethics, respect for others and their ideas and respect for the collaborative problem solving process.
Students had to qualify for the state tournament at the CCSD DI regional tournament, held March 19 at Grandview High School. It is the largest regional tournament in the state, involving more than 700 elementary, middle and high school students on 144 teams.